Die Cutting 101
What is die cutting?
Die cutting is like using a cookie cutter. A hand-operated, die cutting machine uses steel rule die shapes to cut through a wide range of materials quickly and easily.
What materials can I die cut?
Ellison brand machines can cut, emboss and texturize many materials including:
- Self-adhesive rubber (for making rubber stamps)
- Sheet magnet
- Static cling vinyl
- Thin metal
- Paper wood
- Heat and shrink plastic
- Poly foam
- Faux fur
- And so much more
What makes die cutting better than scissors?
The use of scissors takes time and patience. However, die cutting transforms the tedious task of cutting numerous letters and shapes into a fast, fun and easy endeavor – replicating the same perfect shape over and over again.
How do I get started?
Learn how to use a Sizzix Big Shot Pro.
Learn how to use an Ellison Prestige machine.
Learn how to use an Ellison AllStar SuperStar machine.
What type of projects can I create using die cut shapes?
Ellison products lend themselves to endless forms of creative expression. Use your Ellison machine and dies for:
- Classroom, library and teaching aids
- Educational and math manipulatives
- Stationery, greeting cards and invitations
- Scrapbooks and personal keepsakes
- Digital scrapbook embellishments
- Fashion accessories and design
- Home décor
- And many other traditional crafts
Also, check out some of our free Lesson Plans.