Support science lessons with fun, crafty projects.
Create decorative candles for any occasion. Bring papercrafting to the classroom and encourage students to create original designs.
Decorate candles to supplement any lesson on light and heat energy or create as gifts for family and friends.
Supplies Used: Candle, Patterned Paper, Fabric, Glue, Lace, Scissors, Ribbon, Vellum
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Wrap candle with lace or fabric of choice and secure in place. Add layers of various widths to add interest.
- Tie a ribbon or any material desired.
- Die-cut multiple Butterflies from patterned paper and vellum. Layer and adhere to body. Gently lift wings to add dimension.
- Adhere Butterfly to completed candle (see Main Photo).
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- K-4 - Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
- 5-8 - Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas.
Standard 3: Choosing and Evaluating a range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- K-4 - Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.
- 5-8 - Students integrate visual, spatial and temporal concepts with content to communicate intended meaning.
Standards for the English Language Arts, by the International Reading Association and the National Council of Teachers of English, Copyright 1996 by the International Reading Association and the National Council of Teachers of English. Reprinted with permission.