Create musical instruments and embellish with decorative dies.
Supplies Used: Craft Sticks, Mod Podge, Paper, Rubber Bands, Scissors, Toothpicks, White Pen
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Paint the craft sticks.
- Die-cut Tiny Hearts or any Tiny shape and use the negative space as a stencil. Decorate the sticks with a white pen stenciled hearts (Figure A).
- Seal the decorated strips with a non toxic sealer like Mod Podge.
- Cut a piece of paper to roughly match the size of the wooden stick. Trim toothpicks and place a piece on each end — one sits under and one sits over the paper strip (Figure B).
- Place the matching wooden stick on top and hold all together with rubber bands.
- place your hand made harmonica in your lips and blow! (see Video and Main Image).
- Figure A
- Figure B
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
K-4 Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.