Create personalized notepads to give as gifts for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day or any special occasion.
Students compile a heart notepad to give as a gift at Valentine’s Day.
Assemble and decorate notepads for a fun way to fundraise or make gifts for special occasions such as Valentine's Day or Mother's/Father's Day.
Supplies Used: Binder Clips, Cardstock/Poster Board, Construction Paper, Markers, Padding Compound/Paint Brush, Scissors
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut one Heart using cardstock or poster board. This will be used for the bottom of the notepad.
- Die-cut 30 to 50 Hearts using construction paper. Students may decorate the top Heart as desired.
- Assemble the Hearts with the cardstock on the bottom and the decorated Heart on the top of the stack, making sure they are properly aligned.
- Place binder clips along a straight edge of the Heart stack, close to where the padding compound will be brushed. The clips will hold the stack together for easier handling (Figure A).
- Paint the straight edge with the padding compound and brush. Padding compound may be purchased online or at stationery or craft stores.
- Allow the notepad to dry for one hour between applications. One or two more applications of the padding compound will help secure the notepad together.
- Figure A
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- K-4 – Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
- 5-8 – Students intentionally take advantage of the qualities and characteristics of art media, techniques and processes to enhance communication of their experiences and ideas.
Standard 3: Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- K-4 – Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.
- 5-8 – Students integrate