Stellar Decorating Tip
Flat die-cut Stars can be turned into stellar 3-D Stars!
Celebrate patriotic holidays with a 3-D bulletin board full of Stars that will stand up and out.
Create a 3-D display of stars that are easily made and will decorate a patriotic bulletin board.
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Scoring tool, Construction or patterned paper, Hole punch, Pencil, Ruler, Scissors, White pen
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut different sizes of Stars using various colors of construction or patterned paper.
- Using a ruler, draw a pencil line from the tip of each point to the opposite side of the Star where the legs come together.
- Using a scoring too,l score on all the lines.
- Mountain fold on each long line, and pinch in on the shorter folds for a valley fold. This will turn the flat Star into a
- 3-D Star.
- With a Star of a different color, draw the lines from the tips to the opposite sides, and cut along the lines. The cut pieces will layer on top of a whole Star to give depth.
- Use a hole punch to pierce the pieces or white pen, creating a patriotic look to the stars (Main Photo).
- Use these stars to decorate a classroom for Memorial Day, Veteran’s Day, President’s Day, July Fourth or any patriotic holiday or theme.
National Arts-Visual Arts
NA-VA.K-4.3 Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.
Social Science-U.S. History
NSS-USH.K-4.3 The History of the United States: Democratic Principles and Values and the People from Many Cultures who Contributed to its Cultural, Economic and Political Heritage
- Understands how democratic values came to be, and how they have been exemplified by people, events and symbols.