Build math skills, spelling and sentence structure while constructing this delightful Sandwich!
Construct a Sandwich, place a value on each part of the Sandwich and have students add the total. Place a letter or word on each part of the Sandwich, and have students build words or sentences.
Students can practice their math skills, spelling and construction of a sentence while building a Sandwich with this multilayered shape.
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Construction paper
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut the Sandwich shapes using various colors of construction paper for the bread, meat, lettuce and tomato.
- Die-cut extra shapes using construction paper for cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup, onion, extra lettuce, mustard and extra meat, if desired. (The same shape can be used to create the lettuce and cheese.)
- The Sandwich shapes can be adhered together or kept separate for drilling and practice (Main Photo).
- To practice math skills, place a value on each shape, and have students total the cost of their Sandwich. Add in the cost of a drink and dessert, too.
- To practice spelling, place a letter on each shape, and have students spell words.
- To practice sentence building, place a word on each shape, and have students construct a sentence.
English Language Arts
NL-ENG.K-12.6 Applying Knowledge
- Students apply knowledge of language structure, language conventions (e.g., spelling and punctuation), media techniques, figurative language and genre to create, critique and discuss print and nonprint texts.
National Arts-Visual Arts
NA-VA.K-4.6 Making Connections Between Visual Arts and Other Disciplines
- Students identify connections between the visual arts and other disciplines in the curriculum.
Number Sense and Operations Strand
Students engage in problem solving, communicating, reasoning, connecting and representing as they:
- 3.N.8 Select and use appropriate operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication on whole numbers in computations and problem situations, e.g., 3 + 4 + 7 = 10 + 4.