Build this mobile with construction tools.
Students will get the hang of things when building this clever mobile. Keep it front and center while discussing ways and means of constructing homes for those in need throughout the world.
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Cardstock, Construction paper, Hole punch, Markers, Ribbon, Scissors, Stickers, Tape, Thread
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut two Globe #2 shapes using two blue and two green pieces of construction paper.
- Attach the green continents to the blue globes with tape on the back.
- Place adhesive on one of the finished globes.
- Cut a length of thread, and place down the center of the globe with adhesive. Place the other finished globe on top, sandwiching the thread between the globes.
- Die-cut two screwdrivers from the Tools set using gray construction paper. Also die-cut two gold handles from the screwdriver.
- Use a marker for the design on the handle, following the design on an actual screwdriver as a guide.
- Attach the gold handle to the gray screwdriver.
- Place adhesive on one of the finished screwdrivers.
- Cut a length of thread, and place down the center of the screwdriver with adhesive. Place the other finished screwdriver on top, sandwiching the thread between the screwdrivers.
- Die-cut two of the other Tools, embellish them and sandwich thread between the shapes in a similar fashion.
- Die-cut the Spiral from cardstock. Mark the center of the Spiral, and punch a hole with a hole punch.
- Cut a length of ribbon, and knot the ends with a fat knot. Poke the ribbon through the hole in the center of the Spiral, and pull until the knot is snug against the hole.
- Punch holes around the Spiral to hold the threaded Tools.
- Poke a thread with a decorated Tool through a hole in the Spiral. Loosely place a sticker on the thread to hold the Tool in place.
- Once all threads are in the holes in the Spiral, decide how long you want each Tool to hang. Press down firmly on the sticker, and trim the thread (Main Photo).
- You now have a very moving experience!
National Arts-Visual Arts
NA-VA.K-4.1 Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.