Make some key instruments to decorate a musical classroom.
Motivate students to read books with a musical-themed bulletin board that uses instruments to list books students have read, or use the Tambourine as a photo frame for a student picture. The Piano Keys will add a great note to a musical bulletin board in the classroom. Title a bulletin board to match the 2018 Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) slogan “Libraries Rock.”
Bring music to life during a discussion of musical instruments through the ages. From a simple Tambourine to Piano Keys and on to an electric Guitar, students will enjoy seeing changes in musical instruments and styles of music.
Supplies Used: Adhesive, Construction paper or cardstock, Crayons or markers, Pencil, Scissors
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut the Guitar #3 shape using various colors of construction paper, or have students decorate the Guitar with markers and their names. A chart can be compiled to list books students have read.
- Die-cut the Tambourine #2 shape from various colors of construction paper, or have students decorate the Tambourine with markers, and place a photo of a student on each Tambourine as a frame.
- Die-cut the Piano Keys using white construction paper.
- With a pencil, trace around the Piano Keys shape on black paper, and then cut inside the pencil lines. Adhere the cut black paper to the back of the white Piano Keys, and attach to the bulletin board as a border. You could also cover a bulletin board with black paper and adhere the white Piano Keys around the edges of the bulletin board, allowing the black paper to show through (Main Photo).
English Language Arts
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas Grade 5
- Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (e.g., mysteries and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
Fine Arts-Visual Arts
NA-VA.K-4.3 Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.