Christmas Gingerbread Man StockingLesson #13645
Looking for a merry weekend project? Look no further than this simple and festive creation, designed to hold all kinds of special memories, unforgettable presents and goodies that fit easily through a jolly-sized wide opening.
In case you didn't know, your Ellison machine cuts anything that scissors can cut...including fabric, which is perfect for creating fabulous holiday stockings. The stockings can be stitched or laced together and decorated with any number of holiday themed shapes. The shapes can be cut from fabric and fusible adhesive, making it easy to iron on the design. Self adhesive felt is also available in craft and fabric stores and can be applied to the stocking by simply removing the backing. Even if you're not hanging them by the fireplace (with care) you can still feature them all around your classroom and the kids can take them home when they leave for winter break.
Using fabric of your choice, cut, assemble and decorate stockings for holiday fun.
Products Used13468-LG-Ellison SureCut Die - Gingerbread Man - Large 17558-3IN-Ellison SureCut Die Set - Lollipop Shadow Alphabet, Capital Letters - 3 Inch
|1/2 yard||Pre-quilted fabric, lining||See pattern|
|1/2 yard||Fabric of your choice, outside of stocking||See pattern|
|10" square||Tan fake fur||Cut 1 Gingerbread Man|
|10" square||Red wool or polyester felt, pre-washed||Letters|
|1/4 yard||Fake fur||Cut 6" x 21"|
|Tan and red embroidery floss|
- Finished Size: 18 1/2" x 12 1/2"
- All seam allowances are 3/8" unless noted.
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Cut four stocking shapes from the pattern provided — two from quilted fabric and two from fabric of your choice. Remember that wrong sides will face each other.
- Die-cut Gingerbread Man and Letters from wool or felt.
- Use blanket stitch to appliqu the Gingerbread Man and Letters onto the front piece of stocking. Embellish the Gingerbread Man with bells.
- Place finished front on top of corresponding quilt piece and do the same with the back piece.
- Place wrong sides together and pin and sew the straight edge on the toe side first to the ankle. Iron this seam flat.
- Place fur strip on the inside of the opened stocking, fur side facing in, at the top of stocking and sew.
- Close the stocking (wrong sides facing) and finish sewing together all the way to the end of the fur.
- Flip the fur over the top of the stocking and fold down.
- Make a loop with the cording and sew it to the inside top seam of the heel side of the stocking.
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
K-4 Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
K-4 Standard 3: Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.