Supplies Used: Cardstock, Double-Sided Tape, Fishing Line, Glue, Scissors, Shoebox, String
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
Character: Mary's Little Lamb
- Fold a 4" x 10" piece of white cardstock or construction paper in half horizontally, then fold back again about 1" (Figure A).
- Place the fold just inside the bottom cutting edge of the Lamb and die-cut (Figure B).
- Open the die-cut shape. Fold the 1" fold back up inside the shape to make a platform. This will allow the shape to stand up.
- Die-cut the Lamb using gray and pink construction paper to highlight the ears, feet and nose. Adhere the parts to the figures while it is flat. Crayons or colored pens may also be used to embellish and add highlights (Figure C).
- Glue the front and back of the figure at the top, enabling the Lamb to stand (see Main Photo).
Characters: Mary and Children
- Cut two 5" x 5" pieces of tan or brown construction paper and fold back 1" to create tabs for standing figures (as in Figure A).
- Place the fold of one piece of paper just inside the bottom cutting edge of the Border, Children and die-cut two children. Trim away excess.
- Place the fold of the second piece of paper just inside the bottom cutting edge of the Girl and die-cut (as in Figure B).
- Open the die-cut shapes. Fold the 1" fold back, allowing the shape to stand up. Alternatively, cut separate tabs and adhere to create a standing figure. Die-cut additional Girls and Children from various colors of construction paper. Trim, layer and adhere to whole figures (Figure D).
Setting: Clouds, Grass, Schoolhouse and Shoebox.
- Cover the inside and outside of a shoebox with colored construction paper to create the scene (Figure E).
- Cut three 4" x 4" pieces of green paper and fold in half.
- Place the fold just inside the bottom cutting edge of the Grass Patch, and die-cut three pieces. Place the Grass Patches aside.
- Die-cut Schoolhouse #1 from red, brown, tan and white construction paper. Leave the red Schoolhouse whole and trim away pieces of the others. Layer and adhere pieces onto the whole schoolhouse (Figure F).
- Die-cut four big Clouds and five smaller Clouds from white construction paper.
- Adhere the Schoolhouse and three Clouds to the back of the shoebox (Figure G).
Completing the Diorama
- Arrange the Children, Girl, Grass Patches and Lamb inside the shoebox, adhering by the tabs.
- Sandwich string between two larger Clouds and attach to the roof of the shoebox. Repeat to create two more smaller, hanging Clouds (see Main Photo).
- Write or print out the classic nursery rhyme "Mary Had a Little Lamb." Trim and fit onto the top of the Shoebox to complete the diorama (Figure H).
- Display the diorama to share classic nursery rhymes and inspire the love of reading (see Main Photo).