Supplies Used: Cardstock, Double-Sided Tape, Glue, Scissors, Stickers, Colored Pencils, Colored Pens, Crayons
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Cut a 6 1/4" x 3" piece of cardstock or construction paper to create the Mini-Book cover. Fold one end of the paper forward to create a 3" x 3" front cover. Fold the other end of the paper forward to create a 3" x 3" back cover. The resulting spine should measure 1/4".
- Die-cut 12-Page Mini-Book from white cardstock or construction paper. Fan fold back and forth. Continue fan folding down to the bottom row (Figure A).
- The first square becomes a flap for the inside of the front cover. Glue or double-sided tape squares two and three together back to back. Continue gluing every two squares together, with one square left over for inside the back front cover.
- Adhere the two page flaps to the front and back inside of the cover.
- Labels for the front cover and individual pages may be computer generated or hand written and colored with pens, colored pencils or crayons ("Colors," "Red," "Orange," "Yellow," "Green," "Blue" and "Purple").
- Adhere the "Colors" label and stickers to decorate the front cover (see Main Photo).
- Mat the "Red" label with red construction paper. Trim, leaving a 1/8" border. Do this with the remaining five labels, backing "Orange" with orange paper, etc. Adhere these labels on the left side of each open page set (Figures B & C).
- Die-cut four Tiny Apples each from red and green construction paper. Cut the stem off the four red apples. Attach the red Apple on the green Apples (leaving a red Apple with a green stem). Adhere the finished Apples on right side, opposite the label "Red."
- Die-cut three or four orange Tiny Fish. Embellish as desired and arrange them opposite the label "Orange." Cut one fish in half and glue it on the edge as if it were swimming on or off the page (Figure D).
- Die-cut eight to ten yellow Tiny Stars and arrange randomly opposite the "Yellow" label. Again, stars can extend off the page. Trim off the part that extends beyond the edge of the page.
- Die-cut three green Tiny Leaves. Draw stem lines with a darker green pen and adhere opposite the "Green" label.
- Die-cut two light blue and two dark blue Tiny Mittens. Lay the dark blue mittens thumb to thumb to create a pair. Cut the cuff off the light blue Mittens (lay these thumb to thumb also, so the pieces will align). Glue the light blue cuffs on the dark blue Mittens. Draw a connecting string between Mittens if desired.
- Die-cut one to three Tiny Butterflies from light and dark purple paper. Use Fiskars 1/16" circle and 1/8" circle Hand Punches to punch random holes in the light purple butterflies. Glue these to the dark butterflies allowing the dark color to show through. Adhere Butterflies opposite the "Purple" label.