Hanging letters or shapes can be used to create signs for special occasions.
Use the Top Fold to create hanging letters for signs like "Happy Birthday," "Teacher Appreciation Week," or "Congratulations."
Cut any die with a folded top edge to hang on a string and create an instant sign or message.
Supplies Used: Construction Paper, Double-Sided Tape, Glue, String, Fishing Line, Stapler
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Fold a piece of paper in half that is twice as long as the design to be cut (Figure A).
- Place the folded edge of the paper just INSIDE the cutting edge on the top of the die (Figure B).
- Place the die and paper, rubber side down, into the Ellison Machine and cut.
- To CREATE HANGING SIGNS or decorations, cut a piece of string or fishing line as long as desired.
- Fold the letters in half and hang them over the string.
- Staple or use double-sided tape to adhere the letters together so they won't slip along the string (see Main Photo).
- Figure A
- Figure B
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
K-4 Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
K-4 Standard 3: Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.