Create a personal necklace using Shrink Film and an inspirational symbol.
Shrink Film tags are easy and fun to make. They are a great addition to a key chain and make a wonderful holiday gift. Any large Ellison die can be used to create a cute tag, necklace or bracelet!
Supplies Used: Clear Shrink Film, Colored Pencils, Colored Pens, Hand Punch, Nail Buffer, Permanent Markers, Ribbon, Scissors, Toaster Oven
The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
- Die-cut the Aum Symbol from clear shrink film for each student.
- Use permanent markers or colored pencils to color and decorate the design. If colored pencils are used, use a nail buffer to slightly rough up the Shrink Film surface before coloring and help the pencil color to adhere better.
- Punch a hole in the plastic design where a chain or ribbon will come through.
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 250 degrees. Watch for objects to shrink. Remove when ready and cool. Be sure to follow directions for shrink film.
- String a ribbon or thin yarn through the hole and enjoy (see Main Photo).
Fine Arts: Visual Arts
K-4 Standard 1: Understanding and Applying Media, Techniques and Processes
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
K-4 Standard 3: Choosing and Evaluating a Range of Subject Matter, Symbols and Ideas
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.
K-4 Standard 5: Reflecting Upon and Assessing the Characteristics and Merits of Their Work and the Work of Others
- Students understand there are various purposes for creating works of visual art.