Now that school is out (and so is the sun), it’s a good time to look at fun outdoor activities like painting T-shirts, tote bags, and pillowcases. If you've got a sewing machine and some canvas fabric, you can easily create a square tote bag, but the beauty of this project is that you can make it as unique as you want! So whether you grab your tote bags in bulk from a manufacturer or make them yourself, It has never been easier to design your own custom tote. Today we're enlisting the help of our trusty-dusty SuperStar Excel to easily cut our adhesive felt and create a very patriotic project.
Self Adhesive Material (like felt, foam, vinyl)
Craft paint in red and blue
Blank Canvas Tote bag
1. Die-cut stars from self-adhesive material (I used self-adhesive felt).
2. Draw wavy stripes on the back side of self-adhesive felt and cut them out with scissors.
3. Remove the backing and stick the stars and stripes onto the canvas tote.
4. Paint the area around the stars with blue fabric paint and a paintbrush.
5. Paint the area around the stripes with red fabric paint and a paintbrush.
6. After the paint dries remove the felt stars and stripes from the tote.
7. To set the paint, iron the back of the tote and you’re good to go anywhere from a picnic to the library with your new tote bag holding all of your supplies.
Have you ever decorated your own tote bag before? Let us know in the comments below and If you create this awesome, patriotic tote, we'd love to see it! Make sure to stop by our Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram page and tag your pictures with #ellisonedu so we can see it and reshare!