Die-cut measuring instruments to scale for classroom use.
COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS
• Mathematics, Grade 7: Geometry
8.G 7. Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to determine unknown side lengths in
right triangles in real-world and mathematical problems in two and three
• Understand basic units of measurement for mathematical analysis and scientific
Measurement tools are extremely useful in many ways. Introduce basic units of measurement for real-world applications. Use various measurement tools to analyze data and solve problems with appropriate units. Understand the relationship between standard and metric systems of measurement. Conduct scientific inquiry. Sketch dimensional figures and angles. Consider die-cutting student sets for standardized test practice. Challenge students to draw images to scale using their choice of measurement tool.
• The teacher will die-cut the materials for student use prior to the lesson.
1. Die-cut the Protractor, 15cm Ruler, 6in Ruler and Right Angle Triangle from multiple
colors of cardstock, construction paper, wood paper or plastic.
2. When using construction paper, consider adhering chipboard between two pieces
of construction paper for added durability.
3. Add numbers with permanent marking pen if desired.
4. Measuring tools may be laminated for lasting use (see Main Photo).
Tip: Create a class set, as these dies are to scale and can be used for any lesson.