The Importance of STEM in Schools
STEM is a curriculum based on educating around four subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). The idea is to integrate these disciplines into a cohesive subject. In November 2019, the US Department of Education announced it will be investing $540 million to support STEM education throughout 2020.
Keep reading to discover the importance of STEM in schools!
- STEM plays a crucial role in innovation, it's new products and processes that sustain the economy and impact our lives. It's important to encourage students to undertake a career in these fields.
- By undertaking STEM related activities in school, students can increase their level of critical thinking and problem solving.
- It can extremely fun! STEM incorporates hands on learning, giving students the perfect opportunity to play and learn at the same time.
- Students learn in a safe environment, meaning during STEM activities students are able to make mistakes and embrace them. This allows students to build confidence and resilience, while taking risks and experimenting.
- STEM education encourages teamwork, students can work together to creatively solve problems, record data, write reports and many other tasks.